A Lurking Killer – Radon in Homes
Radon is one of those gases that are simply everywhere and nowhere, at the same time. Radon is a gas that is produced by the decaying of naturally occurring uranium in soil and water. Uranium and radon are found nearly everywhere, but the most dangerous thing about them is they are odorless, tasteless, and invisible. Sounds scary right, well don’t be, radon is common and you probably had no idea about it until now.
Due to the fact that radon is continually in the Earth’s soil and rock, low levels of radon can be found in the outdoor air and in homes. “My house is solid. How can radon get inside?” one may ask. Radon tends to leak into your home through cracks in the foundation, floors, and walls, even if it is cement. But not to worry, not all levels of radon are harmful.
Just because radon is in your home or water, does not mean that it is harmful and that you need to get it fixed right away. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that radon levels in homes above 4pCi/L (picocuries per liter) need to be fixed right away because that is an extremely dangerous level. EPA also suggests that homes with radon levels between 2pCi/L and 4pCi/L be fixed as well to be on the safe side. Below is a map of counties in Utah, where does your home rank?
If dangerous levels of radon are not dealt with appropriately, they may cause death. Due to the high levels your body is breathing in, radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer. You should always test your home for radon, because you may never know if dangerous levels are there or not. It is better to be safe than sorry!
Contact Shamrock Plumbing for more information about Radon at 801-505-9505.